29 November, 2005

Why I hate Kansas

Apologies to Bob Dole and Dorothy, but I've about had it with Kansas. That Boulder-to-St. Louis drive has been wearing on me for a while, but now I think I'm done with it forever. Two words: Sharon Springs.

Yes, I was nearly a casualty of the severe windstorm that hit Kansas on Sunday. I really shouldn't complain, I guess. Evidently I just missed the tornadoes by an hour or two. And I only saw about three inches of snow myself. But the wind — shit. Gusts up to 70 mph are no fun while driving.

So no offense to the nice people of Sharon Springs who let me sleep in their high school cafeteria on their blankets and sleeping bag, or to the principal who wanted me to fill in for his own English teacher stranded elsewhere. But I don't think I'll be back any time soon. I've about had it with the whole damn state. Six hours of nothing but sunflowers, wheat, and a $2.00 toll? Really? It seems a lot nicer from 30,000 ft.

1 Comments:

At 12/05/2005 3:20 PM, Blogger Amanda said...

Damn man. This is why it sucks to be in the midwest...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home